AmigaActive (2082/2143)

From:Neil Bothwick
Date:31 May 2000 at 19:03:48
Subject:Re: CD-R Audio

Kevin Twyman said,

> Hello Neil,

>> The last lot I bought were £19 for 50 discs.

> That's...lemme see.... 38p each?!!! Now that IS cheap!

That's what I thought, and they seem fine. I've burned several at 8X
without error.

>>> The system hangs when I try to create them, and a re-boot is
>>> necessary to escape from it.

>> Do you have a filesystem mounted on the CD-R. It's best if you don't
>> do this by default, only mounting it when you need it, and not when
>> burning CDs.

> I'm not sure on this point - if you mean do I have the writer mounted,
> then no

That's what I meant.

> I have the CD-ROM mounted as usual, but never mount the
> writer unless I have a CD I can't read. I keep the writers DosDriver
> in storage.

OK, that's how I do it. MCP's Auto-Mpount means I don't need to waste
time mounting everything when I boot.

>>> I seem to have a problem with the early boot menu, though (I take

>>> It now shows as what I can only describe as a "split screen", and
>>> is unreadable. It worked the last time I looked at it (some months

>> That sounds like a screenmode problem. Try changing the 31kHz
>> setting in the menu.

> I would if I could - but I can't see it!

Can you connect an Amiga monitor to the standard video port? There's
also a program on Aminet to force the early-startup screens to use a VGA
screenmode, although it only works after a soft boot.

> There is an outside chance I could change it if I had an image of the
> early boot menu - is there any way it could be grabbed and perhaps
> attached to me? Off list, of course.

No, it's too soon to run a software grabber, and I don't have a video
grabber.

> If not, how many options down from the top is it?

Click the fourth item (System) and then the sixth one down to change the
31kHz screens. Then you only have to find the Use buttons...

>> Flashing the ROM could have caused this, as it resets all the
>> settings. I wish there was a way to save them out, or even backup
>> the flash ROM before flashing it.

> Damn, I wasn't aware I'd lose all the settings, that explains why the
> new HD takes a while to fire up, as all the other units, which I had
> disabled, are probably now enabled, and the device checks them all
> before coming to the new HD at unit 10 :(

That's it :(

Neil

Neil Bothwick - New Media Editor, Amiga Active Magazine
Connected via Wirenet - http://www.wire.net.uk
The UK's first Amiga-only internet access provider

If at first you don't succeed you'll get lot's of advice.